Hidden Side Effects of a Car Accident Treated at Your San Rafael Chiropractor
At the Nystrom Chiropractic Group, our San Rafael neck pain chiropractor team has experience dealing with car accidents patients and we understand how truly frustrating and distressing such an experience can be. If you live in the Marin County area and have recently been in an auto accident, we strongly encourage you to contact our clinic today for help.
5 Hidden Injuries After Getting In A Car Accident
The following injuries are extremely common following car accidents. In fact, even minor fender benders can result in one of these conditions:
- Neck pain (whiplash, cervical radiculopathy, facet joint locking)
- Herniated or bulging discs
- Shoulder injuries, especially in restrained drivers or passengers (brachial plexus injury, rotator cuff strain or tear, labral tear, AC or GH joint dislocation, hematoma)
- Knee Injuries, often from direct or side-angle impacts or contact with the dashboard (hematomas, patella dislocation, quadriceps strain, meniscal tear, ligament sprain)
- Traumatic brain injuries (including concussion and post-concussive syndrome)
If any of these injuries sound intense to you, you may wonder how it's possible they may be hidden. After all, wouldn't you know if you had a shoulder injury, concussion, or disc herniation?
During a traumatic event such as a car accident, certain hormones in your body surge as part of the natural "fight or flight" response to stress. These hormones, including cortisol and adrenaline, incidentally are capable of blocking pain, much like innate analgesics.
These hormones can take days, weeks, or sometimes months to fully return to normal resting levels and you may be walking around with one of the above injuries long before any symptoms become present. By the time the hormones start to return to their homeostatic levels and you start noticing symptoms such as: pain, stiffness, headaches, numbness, tingling, muscle weakness, joint instability, headaches, jaw dysfunction, memory problems, difficulty sleeping, the situation may have moved from bad to worse.
That's why we strongly recommend you always check in with a chiropractor as soon as possible following any sort of trauma, since we can help identify hidden signs of an injury and reduce or even prevent symptoms, and stop the condition from regressing into a chronic issue.
How Our San Rafael Chiropractor Team Helps People Recover from Auto Accident
Many of the services offered by our San Rafael chiropractor team can directly address and resolve the symptoms and underlying causes of injuries from getting in a car accident:
- Chiropractic adjustments realign spinal joints, reduce pressure on discs and nerves, relax twitching muscles, and "reset" pain signals
- Cold laser therapy and other modalities can promote tissue healing at the cellular level and reduce pain and swelling
- Corrective exercises can be customized to individual needs for tissue healing, endurance building, and strengthening
- Nutritional and lifestyle counseling can teach you ways to manage your health and facilitate healing outside our office
Are you looking for relief from your car accident symptom?
Call our Marin Country chiropractor team here at the Nystrom Chiropractic Group. You can contact us via email or phone. We offer flexible hours and an extensive range of comprehensive and completely natural services. Call 415-459-1218 today!